Many individuals are hampered in their mobility because of disease, injury, or advanced years and medical wheelchairs can improve their quality of life. Many who need disability wheelchairs, however, cannot afford them due to their high cost and exclusion from many insurance coverage plans. A discount medical savings card can put medical wheelchairs in the hands of those who need them by offering up to 50% savings on the purchase of a new wheelchair.
Many families have been saddled in the past with getting the least expensive disability wheelchairs because of the costs involved. With the substantial savings of a discount healthcare savings plan, a choice can be made for the wheelchair that best suits the needs of the individual.
The primary types of wheelchair choices are:
* Wheelchairs that are self propelled – The least expensive and simplest medical wheelchairs are those that must be pushed by a caregiver or propelled by the person in the chair. These chairs are easily transportable, breaking down into a smaller size for traveling, but they are made primarily for a flat surface only, and a person with limited strength might be unable to propel the chair without assistance.
* Motorized electric wheelchairs – The better chairs for the weak or aged are the electric disability wheelchairs that allow for movement without the need for someone else to push them. Electric wheelchairs must be charged regularly, but they give the stationary individual more freedom of movement.
Many electric medical wheelchairs are not recommended for exterior use, and they have small wheels that work better on smooth and flat surfaces. Extreme care and caution are recommended as it may be dangerous for someone using one of these chairs to be outside alone, especially if the surface area is rough or uneven.
* Medical wheelchairs for better mobility – For the more active person with leg problems is the sports wheelchair. Larger tires with the ability to go into places other electric chairs cannot and greater speeds make the sports wheelchair diverse.
Important Points in Choosing the Best Medical Wheelchairs for the Application
With a discount health card, cost does not have nearly as much to do with choice as it would otherwise. More important concerns are how safe, functional, or comfortable the medical wheelchair is. The decision-making process involves four primary things:
* From where is the chair powered – Electric wheelchairs are powered from either the front wheels or the back, and the rear powered wheels usually are the fastest models.
* The size of the person – Wheelchairs are rated as to how much weight they can carry. With sedentary individuals, weight can become a big concern.
* The size of the chair itself – The height and width of the individual who will be using the chair are essential considerations when selecting the proper sized wheelchair. Sometimes it is necessary to have disability wheelchairs specially built for the individual.
* Safety to match the individual – One of the most important concerns in matching the wheelchair to the user is safety. Chairs are designed with safety features that are based on the many different types of individuals who use them.
Consider the future possibilities of what would happen should you or a family member need a medical wheelchair.
A healthcare savings plan can relieve you of some of the worry and financial burden that might come with a disability situation because getting the best wheelchair for your use is so very important and doing so at a price you can afford.
Source by Cameron Z Jones…