Toolbox meeting is part of daily routine for Offshore Oil & Gas Workers. Main reason is to identify hazard and to ensure all safety pre-cautions are in place before and during execution of works. This toolbox meeting is monitored and supervised by Safety Officer. Safety officer is also another interesting jobs. For those who are interested to become one, below are the safety officer roles, responsibilities and qualifications.
- Roles and Responsibilities
- Assist Management in developing and implementing their HSE plans and advise on operational safety matters related to the works.
- Co-ordinate and conduct inspections/audits of facilities and activities to ensure compliance to safe and good work practices in accordance to statutory requirement of the Factories and Machinery ACT and all safety Procedures.
- Have the ability to communicate in written and spoken English & Local language.
- Give safety presentation with the objective to enhance the Health, safety and Environment awareness of all workers.
- Assist in accident investigation, reporting and monitor their follow up in accordance to safety procedures.
- Must have 5 years working experience in Supervisory position in the related field of oil and gas industry.
- Must possess a recognized Diploma in an engineering discipline or a recognized Diploma in Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) or completed training and assessment by National Institute of Occupational Safety & Health (NIOSH) and have a minimum of 3 years experience working in OSH or minimum 10 years working experience in OSH.
- Must have attended the following local safety courses conducted by Safety Training Institution:
Must have attended the following local courses relevant to their operation:
- Supervisory Safety
- Accident Investigation Skill
- First Aider
- Basic Fire Fighting and BA
Must posses knowledge and skill on:
- Sea Survival.
- Crane & lifting operation.
- Scaffolding inspection
- Permit to Work System
- Authorized Gas Tester Certification Course.
- Helicopter Landing Officer (HLO)
- Hazard and effect Management Process/Risk Management
- HSE cases
- Emergency response
- Law, Regulation & Permits
- HSE Auditing
There is a popular saying among Offshore Oil and Gas personnel about safety. It is “Come in One Piece & Back in One Piece“
Source by Sulaiman Sabur…