Mustard seeds, also called Sarso or Rai in Hindi & Gujarati, Katuku in Tamil and Malayalam, Avalu in Telugu, Sarisa in Bengali, Sasive in Kannada and Mohari in Marathi, is a magical spice that can not only enhance the taste of food but is extremely healthy too. Since ages, mustard seeds have been known for their medicinal properties. And why not? It is a super spice packed with a variety of elements that can boost the overall health.
Nutritional value of mustard
Mustard is very rich in phytonutrients, minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants. No wonder then that mustard is called a magic spice. Let’s take a look at the nutritional value of mustard seeds in detail.
- Mustard seeds contain vitamins such as folates, niacin, thiamin, riboflavin, Vitamin B-6 and pantothenic acid which positively impact the nervous system function and body’s metabolism.
- Vitamin B-3 found in mustard helps in lowering blood cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
- Mustard seeds also boast of Vitamin-E which is a soluble antioxidant and is responsible for protecting the skin from harmful oxygen-free radicals.
- Mustard seeds are rich in flavonoid and carotenoid antioxidants.
- Small traces of vitamin antioxidants are also present in mustard.
- Various minerals such as Calcium, Manganese, Copper, Iron, Selenium and Zinc are also found in mustard.
Health benefits of Mustard
- Provides relief from the respiratory issues: Mustard readily cures sinus issues.
- Cures migraine problem: Due to the presence of a good amount of magnesium in mustard seeds, it cures the migraine problem.
- Cures Asthma: Mustard provides relief to Asthma patients as the various minerals present in this spice help in preventing Asthma attacks.
- Relieves joint pain: Selenium and magnesium found in mustard provide relief from joint pain.
- Reduces constipation: The seeds contain mucilage which helps in reducing constipation.
- Reduces hypertension: It regulates blood flow and thus, prevents the incidents of hypertension.
- Prevents piles and fissures development: Being a good source of dietary fibre, it improves the bowel movement and metabolism of the body. This also results in prevention of piles and fissures.
- Treats cancer: The seeds contain glucosinolates and myrosinase which help in fighting different tumours and prohibit the growth of cancer cells.
- Provides menopausal relief: Presence of magnesium and calcium provides menopausal relief too.
Other benefits of mustard
Apart from the above, mustard is beneficial for the skin. It slows the ageing process and fights various skin infections. This is due to the presence of Sulphur which has anti-fungal properties. Mustard strengthens hair too and limits hair fall.
Organic mustard from Terragreens
Well, when the normal mustard seeds are so good, one cannot imagine how good the organic mustard seeds could be. In fact, Terragreens’ Organic Mustard can offer much more benefits because it is certified under NPOP and NOP standards of organic certification.
So, what are you waiting for? Go and buy Terragreens’ organic mustard and see its magic in your food as well as on your health.
Source by Karthik Guduru…